VW Golf "STOP" Check Coolant!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had this error sign come up on the dash, which I've never had before, just from reversing out of my drive..

Now I know it seems pretty obvious, but do I need actual coolant, or as i have seen, can I just top this up with some water so its under the halfway line?

Sponsored Links
Water will work. I always prefer to put a 50/50 mix in because you'll need the coolant in summer and the antifreeze in winter, as water alone may not be able to do it.
Don't forget to check the radiator when the car has completely cooled down. Only remove the cap, if there is one, when the car is cooled down. Check that the coolant or water is full. If not, top it up there too. Then check it again after you've used the car, but again, waiting until the car has cooled down before removing the cap. Check my recent 'overheating' thread for many coolant/radiator issues. Burnerman and others have given some excellent advice to me in that thread.

When you come to replace the coolant, just look for the type written on the expansion bottle cap - it'll probably say G12+ and its better not to mix that one.
John :)

Water will be fine, if the coolant is not low its likely to be a faulty level sensor which is built into the header tank, this is common on Golf`s.

Sponsored Links
It did seem very low so topped it up to the minimum line with some water.

On the 'tank' it did say G12 but not + ?

Anyway I shall get some asap, as I've never had to do this from having this Golf for a few years now..

VW have changed coolants a few times over the years, and its probably not best to mix it with stuff from motor factors etc unless the product says it is compatible.
It sounds like your Golf may be ready for a coolant change anyway - its not the antifreeze properties that fail but rather the corrosion inhibitors. On an aluminium engine thats pretty important!
If you suspect a leak, coolant has a very particular smell, so check around the hose ends for any crusty deposits. The hose clips used these days are dire, too.
John :)

Back