United Kingdom
Hi all,

Car details:
Make - VW
Model - POLO
Engine size/Type - 1.0L
Year - 2001 (Y REG)
Mileage - 75500

I recently had the clutch and gearbox replaced as they were making a lot of noise, since then I've noticed another noise (may be from new parts or could have been drowned out by noise of gearbox).
Basically this noise is a high pitched whirring which gets louder and higher pitched the more revs i do. Can't really hear it at less that 2000rpm. It happens in all gears and neutral.

I'm not too knowledgeable about cars so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you require any more information.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be so many things, water pump comes to mind connected to the drive belt (was fan belt) will run at engine speed despite gear or road speed, alternator also.

Thanks for the quick responses! Noise sounds the same when clutch is depressed.

Sponsored Links
Get a large screwdriver, and rest the blade on the alternator casing......stick the handle in your ear and listen for a tired bearing.
Failing that, remove the drive belt and try again.
John :)

Get a large screwdriver, and rest the blade on the alternator casing......stick the handle in your ear and listen for a tired bearing.
Failing that, remove the drive belt and try again.

Just remember if you have long hair tie it back!

Sorry for the delayed response. Did the screwdriver trick - I'm no pro but the alternator sounds fine to be, just a kind of buzzing but seems to be running smoothly.

Just to check - from my description would you say this is definitely not clutch/gearbox? As these are under guarantee.

I'm going to have a look at the hoses and belts for signs of wear - any advice?

Not that I'm aware of! Hoses look in reasonably good condition too! :S the (what i assume is) serpentine belt (located to the left of the engine block) looks in good condition too

Obviously its difficult to diagnose from here, but I'd be inclined to remove that serpentine belt to see if the noise goes away.....the belt wont make a noise, but whatever its driving could be.
After that, its possible that the gearbox is noisy - I guess its a second hand one, so its condition is unknown - but usually depressing the clutch pedal loads the clutch release bearing (common howler, that one) and also loads up the front part of the gearbox which is spinning, irrespective if the car is in gear or not.
If the timing belt is too tight, it will whine, if its too slack, it flaps but if that had been interfered with you would have been charged for it. The timing belt drives the water pump on these motors (I think) but that's not really prone to loud noise.

Thanks for the advice :) I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything!

Sponsored Links
Back