Walk in shower coverage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at renovating the bathroom and there is an alcove in the bathroom which looks the perfect size for a separate shower to go in.

I'm thinking about going for a walk in shower enclosure, but I'm not sure about how much coverage the opposite side of the shower should have.

Attached a picture of what I'm thinking. It would be a 120 x 80 cm shower base with a 90cm fixed glass panel and a 30cm swing deflector. My concern is the short area of wall. This is 33cm long as is and I'm not sure that this would be enough to stop water from splashing out of the shower, even with the deflector panel as I have no experience of these types of shower.

In terms of the shower itself, we're planning a thermostatic mixer powered off the hot water system (unvented) through a drenching shower head.

Would there be a better arrangement for the glass? I'm not sure about fitting a swing glass to the short bit of wall as it might get swung into the door and I'm wanting to keep good access (according to the manufacturer, 50cm should be okay).

I've no experience of these types of showers so I'm not sure how much spray is going to be generated.

Any help gratefully received.

Circle shows approximate position of the shower head.
gk2dtU0.jpg

gk2dtU0
There is a dark line that shows roughly the extent of the swivel glass moving in to the shower to stop spray.

liNCoOS.jpg

liNCoOS

Sponsored Links
for example all depends how high or where shower head positioned i have a 1700x900 shower tray with cieling mounted head about 1000 from the open any closer then i would need a screen

I
Would there be a better arrangement for the glass? I'm not sure about fitting a swing glass to the short bit of wall as it might get swung into the door and I'm wanting to keep good access (according to the manufacturer, 50cm should be okay).

liNCoOS.jpg

liNCoOS
Is it possible to hang the bathroom door so it opens out ?

It's not only about where the shower head is spraying, it's also about how much you move around under the shower, and how much water then gets thrown about. On that size space, I'd go for a door rather than a walk in shower.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help guys, unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible to have the door open out into the hall. The dimensions of the hall don't really allow it. Can't have it open the other way in the room as the rest of the bathroom will hopefully look like this:
DxGmD71.jpg

I'll be honest lads, I've been trying to figure out a way with a flappy panel and it just seems a better idea to get one of the frameless ones with a large opening door. Now to convince the wife... although since the vanity unit she was looking at is now out of stock she's probably changed her mind on the whole bathroom :cry:

Have you considered moving the toilet and vanity unit along a bit; that way, you could build a bigger enclosure.

@Doggit, I've had a look at that but it gets a bit cramped to get a larger shower enclosure in there. To be honest, the whole process would be easier if that alcove wasn't there! Because of the Size of it, it seems obvious to stick a 1200mm shower enclosure in the space, however, because of the 'short' wall' I can't figure out how to bloody well do it :D Shower enclosures seem to come in either recesses or corner varieties, not recess where one of the walls is a bit shorter than the other.
Personally I quite like something like this, maybe sticking a cabinet or radiator down the short gap (it's a 900x900 enclosure). It also has the advantage that the shower will be hidden as you walk in the room. Won't be sticking out or nothing:
DTcRRb2.jpg

The wife on the other hand wants something like this. She's found Kudos shower enclosures and using their walk in panels we could do this with the 500mm end panel being fixed, and the side panels consisiting of a 700mm fixed side panel and a 300mm swing deflector. This would leave a 200mm gap at the end, but could be built using off the shelf parts. Given how much coverage you get from a shower bath screen I think the deflector would probably give enough coverage to stop spray out. I've been strong armed into checking with Kudos...:
dKp94jX.jpg

When I look at the first option, I thought, yes, maybe turn the toilet into the corner, and move the washbasin towards it, and that would give you a very open bathroom; and you could put an open shelved cabinet in the dead space by the shower. Your wifes idea gives a bigger shower area (sort of) but makes the room feel smaller.

As always, it depends on your budget, but if you used a custom former the shape of option 1, but enlarged it to fill the alcove, then the corners cut off so makes entry into the bathroom feel bigger. But I think you'll end up with option 2, and a get a happy wife.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back