Walk in wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old chimney breast in my bedroom. My room is fairly big but it's getting smaller because all of my space is being used up by wardrobes and shelves. I was considering knocking through the wall of the chimney breast and having a walk in wardrobe. We do have a fire place below but it's a gas fire, so others have said that ventilation shouldn't be a problem. My partner doesn't want me to do it though because they think it'll be too much money and too much work. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Is this chimney breast being used for the gas fire below?

Knock through the chimney breast into where?

A princess should always get what she wants irrespective of carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Sponsored Links
I suppose the heat from the gas fire flue could always be used to warm the clothes

hehee that just made my day noseall :D well the chimney breast sticks out into the room so it would be a simple sledge hammer job! ( If you would call that simple?? We never really use the fire place downstairs and the wall would be sealed off from any gases??

You gotta be kidding me........this ain't for real. Yeah crack on ...knock through to next door they won't mind, bet they wouldn't even notice. Let e know if you need a hand... :confused:

2 points:

By walk in wardrobe, do you mean built-in wardrobe?

You choose not to use the gas fire? or the gas fire cannot be used?

don't forget to remove the chimney and stack first

off course when you inform building control and the party wall act [assuming backing on to another dwelling] they can help

Alternatively you will need to support the remaining chimney stack above, probably with a new steel beam.. As said above all done with building regs..

I suppose the heat from the gas fire flue could always be used to warm the clothes

Actually, our place had a back boiler when we moved in. The chimney had been removed upstairs and instead the flue pipe ran in a small piece of boxing in (with what looks like concrete/asbestos sheets which were then plastered over). There were built in wardrobes built around this too.

We've since removed the back boiler, flue, built in wardrobes etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back