Wall cavity insulation - good, bad or ugly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has an opinion on wall cavity insulation.

I live in an end of terrace house built in 1968, which has cavity walls and have been persuaded to have cavity wall insulation put in. A company called Miller Pattison is coming to do it next week.

Despite the government raving on about how great insulation is, I've got a few doubts in my mind:

* Would filling up the cavities with insulating foam (or whatever it is they use) lead to damp? After all houses are built with cavity walls for a reason - to keep out damp.

* What happens to the insulating foam after a long time? The house could still be standing after 100 years, but is the foam designed to last that long? What will happen to it after it reaches the end of its useful life?

I would appreciate any advice on this.

Nick

Sponsored Links
It's good.

I hope you are using a reputable installer. You can usually get a subsidised price from your gas/electricity supplier, and they are very reliable companies who may also offer cheap finance.

Hmmm...the more I read about it, the more doubts I have.

Here's a link to a page which does not recommend it:

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity.html

It sounds like wall cavity insulation may sometimes cause problems. Not sure whether to believe it though.

A very anecdotal article

it hasn't caused any trouble in my house. However it did make the house warmer for longer, and cut fuel usage.

It would be interesting to see the results of a scientific survey of a large number of houses, but that journalist doesn't provide one.

You can always find people who say "my feet started hurting after I had cavity wall insulation/I got headaches after buying a mobile phone therefore it must be the insulation/phone that caused it"

My house has blown glass fibre wool, which is trated to repel damp. If you put a handful in a bucket of water, it comes out dry - it simply doesn't get wet.

I believe most houses are now insulated with fibre, so it is to be expected that most unhappy people (and most happy ones) will have fibre insulation.

Sponsored Links
Many of the problems with CWI come from poor workmanship or an inadequate survey of the property. Opinion amongst experts in the trade is divided, and Jeff Howell's is only his opinion. The CWI industry is relatively new and many of the original problems have now been corrected.
Everyone that I know who has had it done has been really pleased with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back