Wall fixings for soft plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having trouble finding a fixing that will hold firm in my wall and thought I may some useful advice here.

I have a house that was built in the 80s. All the external walls have a lightweight concrete block inner skin which is covered with about 1 inch of very crumbly grey plaster and then a normal plaster skim. Above the windows, the crumbly plaster goes straight on to the metal lintels which are set about 1 inch in to the wall.

I have tried putting up replacement curtain poles using a few different types of rawl plug and screw in type of plasterboard fixing but the plaster is so crumly that they all pull out after a few weeks of drawing the curtains. I can't use fixings that go in deeper because I hit the metal lintels.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than getting all the rooms replastered!). Would resin fixings be better?

Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
The crumbly grey plaster is probably Thistle Hardwall backing plaster :idea: you need to go into the metal lintol with a HSS metal drill and use a self tapper screw - a pain in the bum , but the only way really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back