Wall hung toilet gap in tile!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning!

Thanks to my competent builder/tiler/BSer and all round know it all. I've been left with a few dilemma's around the house after a renovation.

The tile behind the toilet have been incorrectly cut and I've been left wth a nice uneven gap which stares and glares at me every time I go for a leak, any advice on how to conceal it? is there some sort of edge trim that is flexible enough for me to wrap around and silicone it to the back of the toilet? or should I simply silicone it?

He's also left me with a lovely Velux window with some very odd gaps on all four corners. I think there must be some sort of cover/clips that should be fitted but I wasn't left anything.

Your help is totally appreciated!

Thanks.
Byron

Sponsored Links
If you lift the lid of the toilet seat when you go for a "leak", the gap won't be staring back at you. ;) ;)

The gaps in the corners of the velux windows though are down to poor preparation for the plastering.

Seriously, the gap behind the toilet could probably just be siliconed. It doesn't look as though it's too wide. The velux window gaps in the corners could possibly be filled with polyfilla or similar, but a poor job in the first instance. ;) ;)

Think the only way that I'd be happy with the toilet would be to remove it and replace the tile with one cut to size properly. Silicon just ain't going to look right and you'll always know that it's a bodge.

As for the velux, the plasterboard is supposed to slide into those grooves in the frame and then skimmed. As such, it's been fitted incorrectly. If you can't get your builder back or don't want him back, get a plasterer round who'll know what to do and explain options

On my wall hung wc the plastic inserts for the mounting nuts are ecentric to enable you to rotate them to get it level. With a bit of luck both of yours might be at there lowest setting so you may be able to rotate them 180 deg and get the pan 3-5mm higher.
good luck.

Sponsored Links
Great advice, thanks guys.

I had a look at the toilet and all I see is two bolts but so I'm thinking it's sitting on two parralell bars without the ability to rotate however that's not to say I won't take the toilet off anyway and have a look I'm just a little worrie if I take the bolts off and remove the toilet that I won't be able to reconnect it all, I'll speak with my plumber.

As for the velux, I had a horrible feeling that it wasnt fitted right and was livingin hope that it was somthing I was missing. Anyway, I think the cheapest and easiest way would be to make up some strips of wood and glue them neatly over the edges which should eliminate all the holes and Possibly look like it was meant to be!

Thanks again for the advice, first time poster to
these forums, will definitely be back. Very helpful indeed.

The tile behind the toilet has been cut out too much. The middle bit should go down a bit more. Why not use some same colour grout to fill the gap (bit like making the tile longer)

As for the velux window, I have just had a single story extension built with 4 velux windows. When it come to plastering, what i was told was to put 2 layers of plasterboard up around the reveals. the first acts as filler and the second slots into the groove. This is what i did and the plasterer skimmed over the top

The pan should be sealed anyway; you don't want splashed pee accumulating between pan and wall and getting smelly.

Or get a home urinal fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back