Wall hung wood burning stove - flue question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'd like a wall hung wood burning stove in my Lounge with the flue coming out the back and heading horizontally out the house. I've heard that this isn't possible if the house wall is double skinned, which surely all house walls are? I'm told this is because the max distance the flue can travel horizontally from the stove is 6 inches and double skinned walls are wider than 6" (I'm sure ours is).

Can anyone suggest a work around? I don't want to see the flue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What does your installer have to say?

Tony

He says it's only possible with a single skin wall. I was just wondering if anyone had a work around as we couldn't find any apart from the flue coming out the top of the stove and up and out the wall as they usually do.

He says it's only possible with a single skin wall. I was just wondering if anyone had a work around as we couldn't find any apart from the flue coming out the top of the stove and up and out the wall as they usually do.

I have no idea wether he is right or wrong, but could you consider a fan? But they are not cheap

Sponsored Links
If its hung on a chimney breast then there will only be a single skin of bricks.

The flue can travel at 45 degrees through the wall and once outside can go vertically if that helps

I'm thinking that you need an installer who knows what he's doing..

Your installer is right. 150mm max horizontal length.

If you come off the top then you'll need a length of flue 600mm before the first bend then 45 through the wall.

Your installer is right. 150mm max horizontal length.

But perhaps it can then go at 45 degrees and then upwards outside?

All of these problems can usually be answered by seeing the MI

Tony

Tony, with solid fuel the manufacturers default to the regs and they cannot override them.... The way with a rear flued stove through the wall is with a 45 elbow through the wall to a tee with a sweeping cap at the bottom and then up....

Ultimately, as long as the required draught can be produced (stated in the MI) then all is happy

In the interests of science and in no way wishing to transgress against the mighty regulations but why 6 inches why not nine or twelve. How did people manage in the olden days before we had all these regulations to help us?

The British (Quite rightly) really don't like horizontal flue runs They are areas where debris and soot can collect and not fall back into the stove to be removed.... Obviously there are situations where a hoziontal run is unavoidable (Connecting rear flued appliances) so it is best to minimise the run to as short a distance as possible and so just enough to get the flue through the brickwork in a chimney breast into the flue is deemed adequate....

In the interests of science and in no way wishing to transgress against the mighty regulations but why 6 inches why not nine or twelve. How did people manage in the olden days before we had all these regulations to help us?

A lot didn't manage, that's the point.

How did people manage in the olden days before we had all these regulations to help us?

Great big gaps under the outside doors and windows that didn't fit properly.... Do you really want to go back to those days?

If you hang on for a few months / a year or so then I believe there are plans afoot to extend the maximum permissible horizontal length to 450mm, however if/when this regulation change will go through is anyone's guess...

Having said that, if your stove manufacturer says max 150mm then you must still abide by that, no matter what the regs say

If its hung on a chimney breast then there will only be a single skin of bricks.

It's the back/outside wall of the chimney it would hang on, is that always single skin? Would that mean a lot of heat escaping out the back of a fireplace and be wasteful?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back