Wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i moved into a bungalow about a year ago and one of the rooms is a garage conversion. When we moved in the back wall had rising damp, we have had this treated and no more damp. On this wall we have our wardrobes which i pulled out and found a lot of white mould on them. I can only assume this is a single wall with no insulation, and it doesn't help that it appears this radiator in this room doesn't work so it is very cold. :(

what can i do to insulate this wall myself? And of course the radiator will be fixed too. Thanks

Sponsored Links
what can i do to insulate this wall myself?
Depends what your capabilities are and what tools you have to hand.

Also, what is the make-up of this wall, i.e. single skin (half brick thick), solid 225mm (one brick thick), or cavity wall etc?

what can i do to insulate this wall myself?
Depends what your capabilities are and what tools you have to hand.

Also, what is the make-up of this wall, i.e. single skin (half brick thick), solid 225mm (one brick thick), or cavity wall etc?

Im perfectly capable and i have access to alot of tools. My dads convinced its a cavity wall but im not so sure as we had someone come round about cavity wall insulation and he said they were insulated. Either its just a solid wall or was converted after the other walls were insulated?

You would require aboot 50mm of celotex type insulation to bring a solid one brick thick wall up to scratch.

They can be bought as separate sheets or ready bonded to a plasterboard.

These can either be fixed to timber battens or a stud frame, depending upon how much space you want to lose and how well insulated you wish to be.

Fit a vapour barrier directly behind the plasterboards or incorporate one via foil tape and/or foil backed plasterboards, depending upon your method of insulating.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back