wall lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking at the wiring in a house I recently bought and notice that the wall lights are being powered by cable run up from the normal plug sockets.

The lights have been fitted with fused switches (13 amp!!)

Is this safe?! Assuming not, I could presumably replace the fuses in the switches to make things better?

The switches aren't aesthetically pleasing. Could I use a 5amp cable connector or something between the socket and the light to make this safer, and then use a normal light switch?

Help! ;)

Sponsored Links
i take it you mhave similar to
p1450038_l.jpg
so long as the fuse inside it is 3 amp then it is perfectly acceptable

the reason the previous owner used them is that there should be a 2.5mm twin and earth cable coming from the socket to the fcu (thats what is in the picture) then a 1mm twin & earth to the light

the way they have done it is actually correct and safe what you propose is not.

However you could lower the fcu down (say next top the socket) , run a 1mm twin & earth cable from its new position to where it was Then put in a switch of your choice

The fuses inside are all 13a, so they have to go one way or another.

I presume FCU stands for fused connection unit or something like that? Why would it be unsafe to use a fused cable connector - isn't this essentially the same thing? I'd put the cable connector on the wire currently running in to the switch and then run a 1mm wire from that to the switch? (Sorry if I'm majorly missing the point).

As an aside, the wiring is all 2.5mm at the moment...should I be worried about it to the extent of replacing the light side of it all with 1mm as a matter of urgency/safety?

fcu does stand for fused connection unit, the fuses should also be changed (not urgent since 2.5 cable, but a good idea) and no you must use a fcu, you can also leave the 2.5 cable to the lights if you want (i wouldn't) bigger cable is ok.

Sponsored Links
Ok - that's great, thank you.

Out of interest, what's the difference between using a fcu and using a fused cable connector? Why does it matter which you use?

depends on what you mean by fused cable connector, but if it is what i think you mean that is designed to go inside something

It's just a plasticy/rubbery looking rectangular thing that I saw in the diy place and thought might enable me to do away with the nasty-looking fused switch. Would say it isn't designed to fit inside something.

i would not "chance it" as i said you can alwys move the fcu adjacent to the socket

Can you point us to a piccy of the thing you are talking about?

frog said:
It's just a plasticy/rubbery looking rectangular thing that I saw in the diy place and thought might enable me to do away with the nasty-looking fused switch. Would say it isn't designed to fit inside something.

Well where and how would you fit it then?

Why not put unswitched FCUs next to the sockets where they will be a lot less noticeable, and run from there via normal light switches to the wall lights? (Don't forget the choc-block to join the neutrals)

I'm still having trouble imagining a "fused cable connector".......... :LOL:

I'm sure that when frog posts the URL and/or photo it will all become clear.

frog said:
sounds like it could be an inline fused connector like you would find inside a flourescent fitting?

Sounds to me like frog is describing the fuse holder used on a car radio?

As everybody seems to be enjoying a guessing game, here's my entry:

I think he's talking about a flex connector, but they don't have fuses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back