Wall Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning....

Mrs Unseen would like some wall lights fitted (before xmas apprently! :( ) in the room I'm trying to dryline (again in time for xmas!). Currently all the lighting is wired loop in and RCD protected.

With the light picked the only way I can see of carrying on loop-in wiring would be to use a junction box which after much reading are now frowned upon really.. Is that the case? Should I be using something like WAGO connections or would a hole (large enough for the jb) behind the wall light be acceptable to stay within the "must be accessable" catagory? I did look at the wago jb's from TLC ... But it's getting hold of one to get on with the work..

Sponsored Links
If you can pull any connection box in through the hole behind the luminaire, I can't see how it's any different from doing the same with downlighters. As long as the cables are in place you can wait for a box to arrive from TLC.

If you are also fitting a switch, why not run the neutral through the switch box though, and avoid the problem?

And I thought my son kept late hours! :eek:

If it would be difficult to change the wiring to loop in/out at switch, you should be able to tuck a butt splice crimp inside the fitting without it being noticeable, this avoiding any JBs.

If you can pull any connection box in through the hole behind the luminaire, I can't see how it's any different from doing the same with downlighters. As long as the cables are in place you can wait for a box to arrive from TLC.

If you are also fitting a switch, why not run the neutral through the switch box though, and avoid the problem?

And I thought my son kept late hours! :eek:

*sigh* I'll blame the joys of working for the NHS on the hours!... Good point btw I'll blame 4am for not thinking about running everything and waiting..

Sponsored Links
One final question... Is it acceptable practice to run a cable horizontally between the two wall lights? (I've a feeling I may open a can of worms here possibly) Based on my read up of various posts here I would assume yes as it should be (semi) obvious there would be a link between the lights?

Or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers

Is it acceptable practice to run a cable horizontally between the two wall lights?
That's ok, as it's defined as a safe zone.

Is it acceptable practice to run a cable horizontally between the two wall lights?
That's ok, as it's defined as a safe zone.

Thanks for clearing that up for me... I would carry on but as if by magic Mrs Unseen was looking at the alcoves in the room today and I could just hear "Hmm Shelving with lights would look nice"...

Would it be classed as murder I wonder... :evil: Sigh....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back