wall mount pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i want to replace my toddler childrens' play room standard rocker light switch with a pull cord switch. this is so they can work the light on their own until such time as they are big enough to lose the room and we can turn it back into a sitting room! so it's long-term temporary and i don't want to re-route the cabling and mount a switch in the ceiling.

i thought i would be able to pick up a wall mounted pull switch but all i see (looking online and B&Q) are ceiling mounted switches

is this for safety reasons? am i looking in the wrong places?
would i be OK with a ceiling switch mounted on its side and just expect the cord to wear out (and be replaced)?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Not an application I've come across before!

Personally, I'd replace the existing switch with a 2-way and come down the wall to a second switch at their level. Easily removed at a point in the future....

Buy a blanking plate, holesaw a 20mm hole in it fit a grommet and bolt a pull switch over it.. (Use nuts and bolts with washers inside to spread the load..

Will look Ugly as fook but if its temporary (if there was ever such a thing)
it should do, if you cant find anything.. Im sure you can get DP isolators that fit single gang boxes.. (might be worth checking there application here.. also take some pulling (oo err))

David

ninebob said:
Personally, I'd replace the existing switch with a 2-way and come down the wall to a second switch at their level. Easily removed at a point in the future....

hand not thought of that! but now the place is papered, painted, things on the wall.... i'm not so keen.

ninebob said:
Not an application I've come across before!

this surprises me a little. i thought this approach would have been suited for tailoring houses for the wheelchair bound - replace a switch rather than move the switch.

Sponsored Links
You do know, don't you, that if you give them the means to operate a light switch that they will regard it as just one more toy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back