Wall Paper Query

BF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had a decorator paper a wall. When he finished my wife said that the wall looked perfect yet by the time I got home I found that the paper has a gap between some of the segments.

Can the paper shrink in width to cause this? It isn`t a cheap paper and I don`t understand how these gaps can occur.

Sponsored Links
Not being cheeky "BF" but when you say "the paper was not cheap" ! Then this means nothing to the Decorator cos when a paper is not cheap then it still can be of poor quality, as a wallpaper middleman salesman can sell a £3 roll of wallpaper for £20 ! Also, the gaps can occur due to many reasons being unusual hot weather, wind blowing through a window, heaters, uneven walls, many different materials on one wall being papered over, poor quality wallpaper (including expensive wallpaper), not being sealed properly, the list can go on forever to be honest............

Thanks for your reply Third Eye. It was a hot day and although the paper was not being put over other material except paint, the wall probably wasn`t in prime condition.

I didn`t realise that there could be so many conditions that would cause the gaps I have seen!

See what you mean about `cheap` paper. Decorator said it was a good quality paper and coupled with the fact that it wasn`t cheap took it that it would be a better paper to work with.

Third_Eye said:
Not being cheeky "BF" but when you say "the paper was not cheap" ! Then this means nothing to the Decorator cos when a paper is not cheap then it still can be of poor quality, as a wallpaper middleman salesman can sell a £3 roll of wallpaper for £20 ! Also, the gaps can occur due to many reasons being unusual hot weather, wind blowing through a window, heaters, uneven walls, many different materials on one wall being papered over, poor quality wallpaper (including expensive wallpaper), not being sealed properly, the list can go on forever to be honest............

Sponsored Links
If the paper was perfect when the decorator left the job, but then later on the edges shrunk then the problem usually gets blamed on the decorator, even though it may not be his/her fault. With wallpaper it is unfortunatly normal for some edges to shrink to no more than 0.5mm, but it easier to "stop" this from happening by using an Vinyl Wallcovering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back