wall paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Tried wallpaper before one wall in bedroom, when wall paper had dried notice
joints had move apart what would be cause of this, joints were tight when applied

Sponsored Links
It expands when wet and shrinks when dry.

One wall in the bedroom, tell us what was on the wall prior to hanging your paper, was it perhaps plaster skim or a painted surface. A little more info needed i'm afraid.

Dec

Hi,

Most wallpaper will have instructions on the reverse of the labels. Different products have different soak times to prevent the wallpaper from expanding and shrinking.

It's also important to make sure your wall is sealed correctly first (Apply a few coats of paste and allow to soak in a few times). Freshly plastered walls can be absorbent and sometimes draw all of the moisture from the wallpaper and cause it to shrink or even peal off!

Modern non woven wallpapers like Hemingway brick wallpaper (I've just put this in my dining room) are great because they don't expand or shrink under any conditions!

Sponsored Links
thanks for all your replys
the area i intend to wallpaper is a chimmey breast which ive lined with lining paper to give me a improved flat area for wall to go on

Lining paper is the perfect base for the hanging of wallpaper, one reason for the seams to shrink back is the paper was not soaked for long enough. Check the soaking time of your paper, it has to be supple to the touch prior to being hung.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back