Wall Plate Resin Anchors Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have fitted a timber wall plate to side of house for lean too roof. Roof is all on and I have just started insulation. I checked Rawlbolts (done with the resin) and the nuts were not that tight (they were when first fitted about 3 months back). I have tightened them a bit with a spanner, but did not want to over tighten the. The 25mm diameter round washers that came with the bolts have sunk into the face of the timber a little and they are reasonably tight. Photo attached Bolt.jpg Just worried they will loosen up again and they will be hidden in an inaccessible ceiling void.

So I was wondering:

a) How tight do they really need to be?
b) Would square washers be better, if so what sort of size?
c) Would the spiked timber connectors put on before the washer and bolt make a difference?

Advice would be much appreciated. I don't really want to create any more work for myself, but I do like to do things properly.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
a) tight but not so tight as to strip the threads; they have slackened because the timber has shrunk slightly as it dries out.
b) round washers perfectly OK.
c) what would toothed washers bite into? can't see them being any use in this situation.

Thanks Tony.
Is a "strong hand tight" good enough i.e. I wasn't going to swing on the wrench or break my wrist. I am also conscious that some of the Rawlbolts have the sleeves in the holes due to frogged bricks and I recall reading that they should not be overtightened.

On the toothed washers I was thinkin they would go over the bolt and squash into the timber before the nut goes on and is tightened against the washer

Yes, no need to over-tighten - it won't be going anywhere.

There are two types of toothed washers - ones with teeth on both sides and others with teeth only on one side.
Both types are intended for timber-to-timber connections only, and you won't gain any advantage in using them in this situation, unless you are into pain for when your hand slips off the wrench.

Sponsored Links
Resin anchors - lol.
Regularly specified by zealous architects (like code 6 lead, 25mm floor boards, twin turbo solar polar blocks etc) and are often not needed.

Finger tight will do, where will the plate be going with a washer and nut blocking it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back