wall prep??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am going to tile all around the bath tub upto the ceiling. I have removed the old tiles that were tiled only two rows high.
My query is that I have plasterboard walls and when I removed the old tiles, in places, some of the outer plasterboard (card bit - not sure on terminology here) has come off with the tile and old adhesive. It has not gone through to the plaster in the board. In other areas of the wall the plasterboard is fine but still with the old adhesive attached to it.
The area above the old tiles seems to have been skimmed and painted when the house was built.

Do I need to prepare the exposed card bit before I tile? and would I need to remove most of the old adhesive too?
Am I ok to tile directly onto the parts of the wall that is painted?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
buy a decent exterior filler like tetrion or polyfilla and level up the dents with that. The smoother the surface the better the finish. so once you are done tile away!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back