Wall stability without a return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is the 2.1m external lobby/porch wall stable without a standard 3-brick (665m) return?

'Approved Document A' doesn't have a minimum wall length before a return/buttress is required.

If not stable, what are the options?
A 300 x X mm brick pier at the bottom corner, bed reinforcement/mesh, SE masonry wall panel design, or else?

1677343048859.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If it has a roof it will provide a degree of stability, but might a narrow brick pier work lose over time with a wide, heavy door banging shut?
Your diagram isn't very clear, some dimensions would help.

Sponsored Links
If it has a roof it will provide a degree of stability, but might a narrow brick pier work lose over time with a wide, heavy door banging shut?
Your diagram isn't very clear, some dimensions would help.
Exactly, my concern is the wide door/window.

I made another diagram (sorry for the quality as I was in a rush), hopefully it has more info, let me know if you need some specific detail.
40F76C45-F15A-487F-A91F-9CA177B6C73D.jpeg

You need to get the 2100 long wall checked as a panel wall, bonded at one end, and simply-supported top and bottom, with one free edge.

If it was shown not to work, a coated steel post within the cavity might be necessary, with a plate bolted to the concrete foundation, and fixed to a wall plate or other part of the roof at the top.

With a 300 thick wall showing its edge, your bricklayer will need to do some careful cutting.

You need to get the 2100 long wall checked as a panel wall, bonded at one end, and simply-supported top and bottom, with one free edge.
A quick check showed the panel capable of taking the lateral load, even with being conservatives, utilisation is <50%.

If it was shown not to work, a coated steel post within the cavity might be necessary, with a plate bolted to the concrete foundation, and fixed to a wall plate or other part of the roof at the top.
You mean a windpost? I didn't mention it as an option due to its cost and lead time. Had a look now on ladder type reinforcement, not a cheap option as well! The mesh is not as effective structurally I suppose.

Despite the above, what a cost effective measure could still be done here to strengthen the wall for the worst days?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back