Wall strap replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve taken out a small section of stud wall and have a single vertical stud remaining. The stud is nailed into the exterior wall and it seems like it might be a wall strap as it is nailed into what looks like a horizontal wall plate in the loft. It has pretty chunky (and rusty) nails and is hammered in at lots of points to the inner leaf of a cavity wall. I’ve attached some photos.

I’m keen to remove it and then plaster the gap so that I can install a wardrobe sliding door liner over it. If it does indeed look like a wall strap, I understand I can get a low profile steel one instead. Is it safe to just remove the stud entirely and then install a new wall strap afterwards or is there a different approach I should take? And considering the nails are quite rusty, would I be best to just cut them rather than try and remove them from the wall?

IMG_4713.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Tell me what a "timber wall strap" is and does, and I'll tell you if I think its one! :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Might have the wrong term for it but I was told it could be acting as a strap to prevent the wall plate/roof lifting?

Do you say this because it is made of timber as opposed to steel? Are holding down straps never made of timber?
He says it because he's familiar with how chippies used to bump houses, way back when. They had a propensity of hammers and nails as opposed to drills and screws, back in the day. It was standard practice to grab a piece of timber long enough and thrash it into the wall plate and blocks, even if it poked through into the loft a few inches. It reminds the electricians and plumbers where the wall is, when they are bumbling about in the loft. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Strapping wallplates is a relatively new thing (late 60s?), but never with timber, and never like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back