Wall Vents for open fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is very draughty for a fairly new house - 1997. I have found a few sources which seem to be draughts coming under the skirting boards and a big extract fan had no cowl on the outside. I have resolved those as well as caulking round the UPVC windows as there seemed to be draughts there too.

The house at some point had a gas fire in the living room. The gas has been blanked off and it now has an open fire. There are two air vents in the wall which let a huge draught in. We hardly use the open fire so is it ok to block the wall vents? Can we use the fire occasionaly with them blocked?

I know ventilation is important and I shouldn't completley seal the house but the comfort factor is very low with so many draughts.

Sponsored Links
The house at some point had a gas fire in the living room. The gas has been blanked off and it now has an open fire. There are two air vents in the wall which let a huge draught in. We hardly use the open fire so is it ok to block the wall vents? Can we use the fire occasionaly with them blocked?

I know ventilation is important and I shouldn't completley seal the house but the comfort factor is very low with so many draughts.[/quote][/i

Presumably yopu mean you have a fully open solid fuel grate? if so it is required that a PERMANENTLY OPEN vent is in the room. The size you have MAY be bigger than neccessary, but you CANNOT block off altogether.

The chimney will be causing draughts in the house, as it "pulls" air through the vent and gaps . This known as "air changing". If you had a decent gas fire, these air changes would be reduced, and you would normally be able to block off the vents.

You should also have a CO alarm , with built in, rather
than removable, batteries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back