wallpaper has srunk ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im new here and need some help plz

i finished papering yesterday and it looked good when i got up this morning i could c the wall cuming through the seems in places?

is they anything i can do to fix it ?

cheers chez x

Sponsored Links
Only re-do it I'm afraid, the paper swells when you apply the paste, hence why should should leave the paper a while to let it swell, then when you butt the paper up, you should very slightly overbutt it so that the seam forms a small ridge, then when the paper dries, the ridge will flatten.

Also top tip in future, if the paper is coloured, use a crayon of as similar colour to the paper a s possible, abd crayon the ends of the roll.

Sorry, but now it's dried theres nothing you can do about the paper, is it possible to mask the seems ?

sorry im new to this decorating ?

what do u mean mask the seems ?

thanks

Well, it really depends on the paper / wall underneath, but I suppose you could try to somehow visually mask the seem by putting some sort of filler in them, but it sounds like a horrible bodge, and I don't rate it's chances. Wait for Zamps, he'll know, but I'm not hopeful for you. :(

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for yr help

p.s. would u advise me to strip the bodged paper first before trying it again ?

thanks

:confused:

As before you should always let the paper expand and soak for several minutes, the label on the paper should give you an indication of how long. If you soak the paper for too long though it will shrink when it dries and possibly as in your case open up the joints. If it was an expensive paper or a designer type paper its always best to line the walls first with lining paper. One way round the shrinkage is if you measure where each length of paper will go and paint a line on the wall with some emulsion of the same or similar colour so as it shrinks it will hide the fact. Years ago they use to make special crayons that you rubbed over the end of the roll to hide the white edge. Papers like "Shand Kydd" are noted for shrinkage and they specify lining to help stop it.

Before you start again..check the wall underneath...it could be very porous, which can cause shrnkage..or very non porous, which can also cause it because the wallpaper hasnt got anyhting to grip to when it dries.

As Robbie and Scoops have said it could also be down to your pasting

Always read the label...having said that some labels don't have that much info on them...and some just say 'soak until pliable'...which is rubbish...how 'pliable'????????????

Tell us what and how the walls are finished at the moment?...my guess would be bare plaster, eggshell or silk.

If they are they the surface will probably be the problem..

If not it will probably be your pasting

Did the paper have any longish vertical 'crease' like bubbles in it about half an hour after you hung it?...if so then thats an indication that you didnt allow it to soak for long enough

Whatever the problem, you should line the lines to give a balanced suction.

Ok,there could be a few reasons for this but I will guess you haven't sealed your wall properly.

I think this because although some papers as mentioned are prone to shrinkage this is easily overcome by proper preparation.

I only use thinned down PVA to seal walls,a 3-1 or even upto 5-1 (for really porous walls).
I gave up using thinned down paste or "size" years ago.
Thinned down PVA will give you an excellent surface to work with,giving you time to work but also a good level of suction.

Ideally the room you are working in will be at a comfortable temperature.no too hot and definitely not cold(this will cause the opposite problem to what you have.

So as a guide,strip you walls,then soak them with water ,get your scraper and remove the paste,it's messy if you're inexperienced but very important.
Allow to dry over night ,rub down lightly,filling any holes etc (I personally give the whole wall a tight skim but you might not want to do that)>
Once dry rub that down.
Now if your walls are old plaster make a 4-1 mix (4 parts water,1 part pva) mix thoroughly and apply by brush and roller as if you were painting the walls.Don't get it on your ceiling if it's finished,wipe down skirtings etc immediately.
If the surface you're papering has a eggshell,gloss or vinyl silk finish apply a 3-1 mix and then follow steps above.

After 30 minutes check to see if the mix is now touch dry,if it is ,start papering.You've feel the difference,keep the room at a comfortable temperature.
I have a professional paste machine (which cost a mint but has paid for itself many times over nowbut basically when applying paste make sure it's an even coat,right to the edges,NEVER apply the paste too thick,this will cause uneven drying which may result in popped seams.
If you're inexperienced only paste 2 lengths at a time,one when you get to windows etc as you're not gonna be quick enough to hang anymore without the paste starting to dry up on the unhang sheets.
Maybe place the unhung sheet in a black biner til you're ready for it(it'll keep the moisture in the paper and stop it drying out).

Stick with it,but take you're time,sounds like you did the hanging ok just missed the prep (which is the important part).
Don't be tempted to thin down paste as a sealer because you won't get the same "slip" as a pva sealed wall.
Remember,if as suggested(and it's a good suggestion) you line your walls first,the prep I mentioned have is perfect for applying lining paper.The lining paper will also "cushion" any bumps and if the wall is different colours due to filler,etc I recommend lining,In fact I'd never hand any paper,other than wide commercial,without lining paper first.
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back