Wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I want to put new wallpaper up, and have bought a steam wallpaper remover to get the old stuff off first.

What I am finding is that the old wallpaper is delaminating as I take it off. If anything, it's looking like I don't even need to use the steamer to get the decorative layer off, it's possible to just peel it away - I only seem to need the steamer to get the back layer off the wall.

My question is this - do I actually need to get the back layer off the wall, or could I just wallpaper over it?

Thanks,

Ackoman

Sponsored Links
Some wallpapers are designed to do that. You do need to get it all off, both layers, but the second layer is easy with a stripper - it is very absorbant.

I doubt you even need the stripper, just wet the wall with a wet sponge, leave it 10 mins, then scrape away.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Yes, that wallpaper is coming off very easily.

Unfortunately, I've now discovered that there is another layer of wallpaper behind it. Plain white (which is why I originally mistook it for the wall itself), with a sort of plastic/shiny/smooth feel to it. It doesn't come off too easily even with the steam stripper. I assume it does need to come off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back