Alternative wallpaper stripper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house which hasn't seen any decorating for approx 30 years. I need to remove the "flowery patterned" wallpaper ASAP, it's giving me nightmares. However when I put the steamer to it the wallpaper came off and so did the 5mm of paster that it was stuck to. Obviously the steamer is too powerful and possibly the combination of heat and forced steam is too much for the 1930 property.

Is there an alternative product I could use to get the stuff off? I don't want to strip it off inch by inch with a scraper, it would take weeks.

Sponsored Links
Try hiring a wallpaper perferator such as a 'hedgehog' or you can buy a 'paper tiger' or make somthing up yourself to score the surface

Then glove up and use really hot water with some washing up liquid in it

Soak the walls as many times as needed.....do one wall at a time to avoid drying out while you work on another wall.

I think there was a machine you could hire ....bit like an overgrown power planer, but i dont think they were very successful.

Was the steamer to powerful or did you just leave it on to long. You can also have the steamer to close to the wall.

Don't know if Zampa is referring to this type of product when he mentioned a 'paper tiger' - but I 've just bought one from B&Q for under a tenner.
OrbitalScorer
Will be using it over the weekend so I can't comment on its effectiveness yet!!

Homer

"Edit" - just did a Google, and yes, that is what Zampa was referring to ;)

Sponsored Links
30yr old paper may well not be plasticised, and can probably be easily stripped with a sponge and a scraper. - ie no scoring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back