Wallplate fixing and positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Our plans for our 2 story extension state 75 x 50 wall plates and I am in need of assistance please as roofer wants wall plates on before he starts work.
Our walls are block constuction 215mm.
The 1st floor is set back 1 metre from the front and side.
Question 1,
what side of blocks do we put the plate on or does it go in the middle?

Question 2,
from the measurement description of 75 x 50, which way round do we lay the plate?

Question 3,
Our longest wall is 35 foot in length, do we buy 1 piece of of wall plate 35 ft long for that wall? and other walls respectivly?

Question 4,
How do we attach wall plate to breeze blocks? I am so worried that hubby my crumble the blocks in his attempts to drill into blocks.

Question 5,
How do we get new wall plate level with existing house.

Thank you in advance
Nelliedee

Sponsored Links
wall plates are generally 75x100mm?

they are bedded on mortar. 100mm horizontally across the internal blockwork and 75mm vertically.

the internal blockwork is finished higher than the external masonry, to accommodate the roof pitch.

longer lengths of wall plate can be joined with a simple scarf joint.

the plates can be fixed to the blockwork, though the bent galvanized restraint straps are meant to keep them secure.

the ceiling joists will stop spread and keep them parallel.

Thanks for your reply Noseall

Our plans say wall plates 75 x 50 so i shall ring the architect on that one.

Our wall is solid construction 215 mm and it is finished flat so how would we achieve a higher inner piece of blockwork? do we buy blocks half the depth and lay them on the inside edge of new exterior wall?

We have just laid our last floor joist (1st floor) and it is laid side to side, these joists finish about 7 cm above the finished side wall blockwork so at the moment they lay across the rsj (which runs parallel to side wall) and are currently uncut, suspended above side wall. There will be a wrap around pitched roof going above these joists.
I will try and draw a picture and add it soon.
We were meant to hang joists on hangers each end but asked Bc if we could hang on existing house wall and then continue joists across rsj onto new wall. Our problem is that the wall has actually finished 7 cm lower than where the joists come across and so i thought thats ok we can make up the height with the wall plate that the roofer wants on.... bit of a pickle i'm afraid
I cannot seem to draw and add to the forum im afraid.

nelliedee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back