Walls not plastered - should I get it done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All my walls in my house are basically plasterboard with lining and wall paper over the top then painted. I'm seriously thinking about getting the walls plastered (after removing the paper) as I'm hoping this will give a more professional and sleek look. Just wanted some opinions from the experts here?

At the moment you can see the joins in the paper, and having to fill any holes and sand then paint makes the texture look different because of the painted paper and filled areas.

Would really appreciate any opinions on whether you would go for the plastering/skimmed route?

Sponsored Links
sounds like you've had the cowboys in, you shouldn't beable to see the joints.
The boards should have been skimmed or joint filled and sanded down.
So in my opinion plaster finish the walls.
It will help protect the plasterboard from knock damage and give a good surface to decorate on to.

PBoD.

Thanks, you confirmed what I thought. I guess I'll have to stump up the cash at some point and get it done. Just bought this place and getting married this year, so I'm skint at moment :D

Definitely the way go, I have seen some developments that because the walls were being papered, didn't finish the walls of to any reasonable standard.
I'd guess either was mean't to be joint filled, so could be a poor effort by the dry-liner or they left the joints untaped.
But recommend getting it plastered when the funds are in place, good luck with the project and best wishes for your wedding day.

Sponsored Links
agree PBoD!

strip off the paper and WBA them so deal with the wallpaper paste, this you could do for the plasterer and he can just come and skim.

expect to pay around £350-£400 for an average room inc. ceilings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back