Want to disconnect circular mechanical timer on front of boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a Nest to my Glow Worm Betacom 24c combi and found that the mechanical timer (the type with pegs that you slide in or out) is playing up. I have put all the pegs to the permanently ON position but the on off switch in the middle of the circle is broken and manages to turn the boiler off occasionally.

I want to disconnect the whole timer but fear that will break cancel heat demand. Is there a way to disconnect it and leave the wiring set for permanent demand?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not according to the installation manual I looked at, no. It should be possible to disconnect the timer motor and short across the timer switch contacts, but it would not be a manufacturer's approved modification, unless Glow Worm issue an instruction sheet to this effect (which they would probably only do to a Gas Safe registsred person).

@Bunnyman or @The831Bunny might be able to shed some light on this. As far as I can tell, it's a 24v timer. It'll need bridging out, but it's not at all obvious which wires need joining together

Might be easier to just buy a new timer - as far as I'm aware it's just a standard Grasslin mechanical timer available for about £20

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think these ones will make the boiler permanently on if unplugged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back