Wardrobe, do I need a carcas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We've had the loft converted into a bedroom and have an awkward shaped area that will lend itself to a small wardrobe with no doors.
The back and one side are existing walls, I would need to put in an end panel for the other side (MDF?).

Do I need a carcas or can I just use the internal walls (for back and side) that were built for the loft conversion?

The wardrobe will be about 1m in length and will have full length hanging space with possibly a shelf above.

If I don't need a carcas do I need to be aware of where I put the end panel in terms of attaching it to the ceiling, or do I just attach to the floor and back wall?

The idea seems basic, but think it might be a little trickier.

thanks

Sponsored Links
The exsisting walls will be fine assuming they are plastered surfaces and not just bare brick. If it's just bricks line it with mdf. Idealy the free standing end panel should be fixed at the top as well. easiest way to do this ( I'm assuming this is against the roof slope?) would be to fix a rail at the top of the space and fix the end panel to the end of that.

Thanks.
The walls are plastered, but it's not brick behind, they were walls built next to the new stair case, so some kind of stud wall. Wasn't sure if they would be strong enough to attach the hanging bar to?

Sponsored Links
Attach a strip of timber to the wall using multiple fixings, about 100x25mm should be enough, then fix the rail to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back