Wardrobes flush against wall that backs to outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I am fitting wardrobes in an L shape in a room with one of the walls that the wardrobes will be on being against the outside. Should I be concerned about this for damp / mould reasons? I've no reason to believe the wall is damp but I remember in an old house a bookcase I had against an outside wall was covered in mould when I moved it.

I will be removing the skirting to get the wardrobes as flush as possible.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If it’s sealed to wall no airflow means no mould spores can get to rear .But the cold cupboard back may develops mould if the wardrobe is not ventilated or stuffed full with no air movement .Rigid insulation to rear would help .

I would recommend fitting a sheet of rigid insulation to the wall first -as foxhole suggests

maybe 25mm celetex, if you dont want it that thick use 12mm but its not that easy to come by in merchants. failing that use some floor insulation sheets or similar

dont leave gaps glue it tight to the wall

apart from stopping damp it will improve insulation of the house

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks. Do you think if I left the skirting on ( about 15 mm deep ) that would provide enough of a air gap or is there not going to be enough air flow there?

I should add I have cavity wall insulation in the wall that this is backing on to - for what that's worth :/

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back