Was neighbour supposed to lead-flash the roof boundary during their works?

You have no contract or relationship with the firm that did the work, and they may not have any duty to you (their duty is to their customer). Further, you can't rectify any part of the roof on the neighbour's side of the boundary, unless they explicitly give permission - and if they say "Yeah you can fix it" be careful that that is not agreement for you to fix it at your cost.

What you would do is invite the neighbour to rectify his roof. If he declines, then you have options
- offer to do it and agree costs,
- apply to the county court for an injunction forcing the neighbour to rectify it
- carry out works yourself and sue the neighbour in the county court for your losses
- get the council to take action under their powers - they could force the neighbour to rectify the roof within 21 days, or face action in the magistrates court. This costs you nothing.
It's a private property though, can the council really still do something about it? I cant find any information on this. Thankyou. Its almost impossible to contact anyone at my council atm, I will try again most of today and tomorrow though.

Sponsored Links
My local old roofer said that his ****ty bodge job is potentially dangerous, ie. tiles flying off, so I could try dangerous buildings reporting.

It started leaking again just as was going to sell, and sale fell through... unbelievable.
Any idea how I can mitigate water damage inside temporarily. Does leaving a coupl;e windows open and heating help at all.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It started leaking again just as was going to sell, and sale fell through... unbelievable.
Any idea how I can mitigate water damage inside temporarily. Does leaving a coupl;e windows open and heating help at all.

Thanks

Cheapest way is electric fans, blowing on the area, plus a window open back and front, or one side and opposite side, to ensure a through flow.

Or just get it fixed . It's not a massive job, a morning's work at most . Plus access .. and £40 of mats if that

Maybe, I think, it will cost far more than a "mornings work" & "£40 of mats".
And possibly, say, a 6ft x 2.5ft tower hire?
Two workers needed at a min.

I cant tell if its involving the rear and the front roof planes but for the OP's house then typically both roof planes would be involved?
Work, of course, will need to be done on both neighbour's & OP's roofs.
Occasionally, more than one vertical row of tiles/slates will need to be lifted.
Battens might need adjusting so will the membrane or membranes.
Fire/smoke protection will be needed at the join.
The Bonding Gutter should c/w with a high fin.

FWIW OP: Your gutter needs cleaning out, & re-hanging to correct falls and clipping
You seem to have a eaves felt support tray but no membrane can be seen.

Thanks for letting me know about the other stuff.
Cheapest quote from 5 roofers has been £1500, 1 days work, scaffolding needed both sides and tiles pulled up on either side. The problem is I have to choose between paying at my expense or sueing. I need more info to decide. I suspect the **** will try and force a party wall agreement and try and make me pay for it, costing more time and money.. so I may as well sue her. But cant sell the house till its resolved and not sure how long will take.

This c*** is deranged btw, there is a very real chance she deliberately got her roofer to do this. So that she can try and sue someone for BS when they have to touch her tiles. She has already tried an insurance scam among other things.

Last edited:
OP,
I'm not happy with your calling a woman the C... word - so I'll leave this thread.

Im not sure how that offends anyone but her. The person that should have given me a party wall agreement, but instead cost me thousands of pounds, potentially tens of thousands depending on how the sale is affected.

This person, who should be paying for their travesty now has the gall to try and get ME to pay a party wall agreement, the one she didnt bother to do! And in those 6 weeks I have water coming into my house every day.

But sorry if it hurts your feelings, Im in general quite sweary. Btw this person shaped toilet bowl has the audacity to pretend to be the victim like a typical narcissitc psychopath, and thinks that ending it with 'please' means she is somehow civilized, when she is the very bottom of society, what a joke.

The roofers have to phone her first, they need scaffolding on her side too. this psychotic **** tried to force the previous roofer to sign a legal document to have scaffoldong on her side last time plus she had a disgusting attitude. he charged me thousands of pounds extra to deal with her.

there is a very high chance every workman that contacts her (and they have to contact her) will be put off from working.

I think an injunction is my only option, or to be added into calls? so I have legal proof that she is delaying work when I have an active leak.

edit: I don't know what crazy stuff I missed. But I dont think anyone from any group should ever have special diplomatic protection from people's reactions, if they act badly enough. Civillization will regress.

Last edited:
Any idea how to check if someone's public liability insurance is real? I have a new kid, my intuition says he is good, but no ltd company, and hes trying to charge 50% upfront. I can't find anybody else at short notice, he seems knowledgeable though. I am unlikely to gaina ccess without proven insurance. Thanks. I think I'd rather wait months than pay anyone upfront, especially a new kid.

Last edited:
Ive had a bathroom installer ask for some upfront before for materials, and it was ok. I googled, that some pay a deposit? How do I know when it's a scam or not? But yeah seems riskier with no prescence of the company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back