Washer or valve on kitchen tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am trying to help my elderly neighbour out - thought it would be a simple, replace washer type of job, but can't even remove top of tap!

It is a smaller, older style basin tap, but it doesn't have the decorative bit on top to take off hiding the screw?

Towards the bottom of the tap, there does appear to be a small gap, but not large enough to get a screwdrive in, have tried unscrewing the whole top of tap, but won't budge?

Also, when you turn the tap on, there is no water at all (cold water), I know that there is water running through the pipe as it is also connected to her washing machine which is fine.

Can anyone advise on firstly, how to remove top of tap, secondly, does this sound like a simple job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If there's no concealed screw, chances are that the head just pulls off. But might be quite a struggle if it's not been off for 30+ years. You might be able to squirt some WD40 in from underneath.

If it flies off suddenly, make sure you don't drop it into the basin and crack it, they can be surprisingly heavy. Protecting the basin by putting an old towel in it might help.

And put the plug in so that any small bits you subsequently remove don't end up falling down the plug hole.

Another variant I've seen on older taps which look like that involves a grub screw on the side of the tap head, near the bottom.

Only about 1/8" across, and often buried under years of grime, soap scum etc. Worth a quick look.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back