Washing machine draining into sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been having some trouble with a kitchen sink draining slowly (from a full sink it seems to drain to half way ok then very slowly for the rest). We have also just had a new washing machine and when this drains it backs up a lot into the kitchen sink.

I thought it would be a blockage so I have cleaned the u-bend and used a rod to clean as much of the pipes as I can (a lot of gook came out but no obvious blockage).

Is it possible there is an air lock? and how would I fix this? I have also checked the overflow pipe isn't blocked and tried plunging a lot. Attached is a photo if this helps.

All help much appreciated

Thanks

Oliver

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 606
Sponsored Links
Well yes, you have an air lock, but the whole point of a p-trap is that it traps some water in the bend, leaving air either side, so you don't get rank smells. It doesn't take much water pressure to push through 32mm waste though, it's not like it's pressurised.

You are of course, better of asking in the plumbing section, but I reckon you've still got sludge somewhere. Chances are you've just rodded it further down the pipe. Is the outside end of the waste open?

Thanks, it's a second floor flat, and I can't get to any other pipes, I did check the toilet is draining ok and there seems to be no problems there. I had posted in here as I thought it may be linked to the new washing machine, is there any chance sink water is flowing back into the washing machine outlet pipe?

That's poor routing of the machine waste.....keep it high so that it descends finally into the sink trap. You're asking for all sorts of nasties there, including sink waste entering the washer.
It looks like that's a cleaning point at the swept tee?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I did wonder that, stupid question but does the machine waste pipe need to stay high all the way from the washing machine to the sink (not easy as there is a dishwasher in the way) or can I just pin it high under the sink?

You need the washing machine drain hose to be as high as possible so as not to connect back flow from the sink

Yep, avoid loops in the drain pipe if you can......allow the pipe to rise from the back of the machine, and allow a gently descent into the sink drain.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back