Washing machine & fitting scale wizard in loft ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my area I have very hard water and I don't have a water softener and I'm not in a position to install one at the moment even though I would like to. I can deal with the cleaning of lime scale but the hard water is killing my clothes everything comes out with a white scum marks on and faded, I've tried white vinegar and the calgon but its not improved much, the washing machine is around 10 years old, I have two questions,

1. Before I buy a new washing machine could it be the case that it is so old and build up so bad inside it that is doesn't mater what I do (vinegar / calgon) the clothes will still come out looking old faded, I've tried vinegar and calgon for 5 weeks on the trot with no real improvement ?

2. I want to fit a scale wizard, unfortunately I cannot access the main feed pipe downstairs to fit it, I was thinking of fitting it in the loft and attach it to the feed pipe into the water tank in the loft, the scale wizard is a plug in unit and I have a power point up in the loft, would it be safe to have something permanent plugged into a socket up in the loft considering how hot it gets up there in summer, I would use one of those circuit breaker things ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
2. I want to fit a scale wizard, unfortunately I cannot access the main feed pipe downstairs to fit it, I was thinking of fitting it in the loft and attach it to the feed pipe into the water tank in the loft, the scale wizard is a plug in unit and I have a power point up in the loft, would it be safe to have something permanent plugged into a socket up in the loft considering how hot it gets up there in summer, I would use one of those circuit breaker things ?

Bob, there is no point in fitting these to a stored supply feed. The effect is temporary, and needs to be on the supply to the apliances requiring protection. Is your w/m plumbed from the CWS, or is it mains fed?

EDIT:
Ive just looked at the instructions, and it DOES say you can fit it to the supply to the tank! I am absolutely not convinced that this would be a benefit, unless it was a small CWS and you used the water almost immediately. Anyone else?

http://www.scalewizard.co.uk/installation.htm

I thought that most of the instructions for this sort of product stated it had to be fitted within a metre of point of use. Not that any of them seem to do anything anyway :rolleyes:

I'd try a couple of boil washes with the machine empty to get rid of all the old soap etc first.

Sponsored Links
Some ar "whole houase" and "some are point of use". This one is apparently the former.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back