Scale Inhibitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a large two bedroom flat in Brighton where the water is very hard and continually have problems with appliances scaling up. I have been advised to buy a scale inhibitor to fit to the main supply. My question is does this thing work:

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Salamander_Scale_Inhibitors.html

Or would I be better with one of these

http://www.bes.co.uk/product/108~PL~1925~1925~-Salamander-Scale-Inhibitor-.html

If it helps we have a combi boiler system this would sit before.

Sponsored Links
If you've got a combi in a hard water area one should already have been fitted.

Most on here are sceptical about in-line scale inhibitors and their efficacy.

Cisternmiser combimate :idea: . And if you want an old Plumber to fit it ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
There are only two ways that actually work.
Phosphate dosing devices such as the Combimate - these need to be refilled with chemicals.
Ion exchange water softeners, which require substantial amounts of salt to regenerate the resin.

Anything else such as devices with magnets, hunks of metal, electric probes, wire coils and and so on are all total rubbish and do NOT work.
Not only are they useless, the manufacturers and vendors of such things are unable to supply any credible evidence that they do work, or any sensible description of how they are supposed to do anything.

To answer the original question - neither of those things will do anything, they are a waste of your time and money.

We have a scale 'system' connected to our unvented water heater.

In the 3 years we've been here we've never had to unblock our shower head, must be doing something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back