Leaking scale inhibitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...

I woke up this morning to discover that the scalemaster scale inhibitor beneath the boiler has sprung a couple of leaks. :(

It was spurting water all over the boiler cupboard and has soaked the walls and carpet.. something which I have been able to stop by switching off the water at the mains.

The problem is that we have a 2 month old baby in the house and kinda need to be able to switch the heating back on as soon as possible. :confused:

We have a plumber coming out midweek to look at the system, and hopefully will look at replacing the whole system, but in the meantime - what can I use to plug the holes in the inhibitor? It's also a Sunday so it would need to be a product from one of the big DIY stores.

Many thanks in advance for any advice. :D

Sponsored Links
there is a product called Fernox LSX in a yellow packet(Wickes do an own-brand equivalent called something like External Leak Sealer in a red packet)

It is a sort of rubbery stuff in a tube. You squeeze it out soft and sticky and it reacts with the air and moisture to cure and go like rubber.

It is very sticky and messy to use and will stick to your fingers if you let it.

Force it up into the joint, hole or gap if can

You have to leave the water turned off until it has set or the water pressure will push it off the leak. You must get the surface very clean so it can stick to metal not dirt. Once you have applied it, if you mist the surface with water spray it will set faster.

It is rather a bodge but may help with your temporary problem.

You should find it among the plumbing chemicals in a plumbing shop or DIY shed

Don't leave the cap off the tube or it will all go hard.

It is something like £5 a small tube.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back