Washing machine flooded floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if anyone can help me here?

My washing machine has flooded the kitchen floor, have just moped it up and turned the power off at the switch

I have checked the hoses (blue and red) and the connections and they seem ok.

Does anyone know what this could be or how to cure it ?

Thanks for your kind help

Garry

Sponsored Links
I have checked the waste pipe it goes into and it seems fine. The grey outlet pipe seems alright too

Sponsored Links
I have checked the waste pipe it goes into and it seems fine. The grey outlet pipe seems alright too

Strange. Failed pump or blocked drain hose can lead to water coming out of the machine via the powder/soap draw when it reaches the spin cycle, by which point the drum is supposed to be empty. Again, it may just be easiest to run up the machine with no load and see what is/isn't happening.

Could be a hole or split in the rubber boot (door seal to you). check it carefully all the way round. Had this some months ago on my washing machine. Cost about £20 for a new one and fitted it myself. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Strange. Failed pump or blocked drain hose can lead to water coming out of the machine via the powder/soap draw when it reaches the spin cycle, by which point the drum is supposed to be empty. Again, it may just be easiest to run up the machine with no load and see what is/isn't happening.

Thanks for your help. How can I check the pump has failed? I have looked and where the grey hose connects to the machine there is a blackr ubber bag type sump thin g? Could this be blocked too?

The filter (if your machine has one) is normally behind a plate at the bottom front of your w/machine under the door, it unscrews anti clockwise but they are normally quite tight.

Thanks for your help. How can I check the pump has failed? I have looked and where the grey hose connects to the machine there is a blackr ubber bag type sump thin g? Could this be blocked too?

Not sure about the 'rubber bag', I've only worked on a couple of washing machines, and only because those belonged to me/family. If the pump is dead then when the machines tries to pump out, there will be nothing come out of the drain hose, and the pump will likely be very quiet (i.e. ceased, no power, open circuit winding) or unusually noisy (damaged impeller, etc).

Could be the cold water/. hot water inlet valve letting by. This close naturally on spring tension and a solenoid when activated opens to let in the water. These can let by (limescale etc) and cause the flooding. Do you leave the door open when not in use perhaps close the door and see if it fills up when not in use.

And as the others have said blocked, wrongly routed outlet can also casude similar and back drainage into the drum if plumbed into a sink for instance. The outlet could be free but routed incorrectly and when someone lets water out the sink it can enter the drum.

Thanks all for your very useful help. After leaving the macbhine off overnight I have looked at the waste today andf the grey hose does seem at an awkward route, as suggested by scoobydo123. What angle/way should this hang - it connects to the sink waste on a spigot type plastic tube.

Could be the cold water/. hot water inlet valve letting by. This close naturally on spring tension and a solenoid when activated opens to let in the water. These can let by (limescale etc) and cause the flooding. Do you leave the door open when not in use perhaps close the door and see if it fills up when not in use.

And as the others have said blocked, wrongly routed outlet can also casude similar and back drainage into the drum if plumbed into a sink for instance. The outlet could be free but routed incorrectly and when someone lets water out the sink it can enter the drum.

Thanks for your help

When you say inlet valve do you mean the isolation valves that the washing machine hoses are joined to? Or are the valves inside the machine??

The inlet valve(s) are part of the machine. Consider that the machine is always connected to an open water source ie you dont turn tap on when you are about to use the machine. The inlet valve opens when an electrical current is applied to the solenoid that pulls the plunger away from the seat of the valve and lets the water flow. These seats can get dirt or limescale and start letting by.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back