washing machine in basement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to install a washing machine in the basement. My query is will the pump lift the dirty water to ground level or will I need an additional pump external to the machine. Any advice would be welcome.

John of Gwent

Sponsored Links
The pump on a washing machiene is designed to pump volume not height, but could you not find where your main drain is as it may be lower than or very close to the depth of your basement.

If it isnt then i suggest you dont put the m/c in the basement. I say this not through sarcasm but praticality, to have a separate pump you would need to have a pump chamber, automatic pump. You could use a sump pump with automatic float switch, but these will only pump out water to within a depth of 2cm so that would mean your sump would always have some water in it which is liable to stagnate and smell (especially if the m/c is not used for some time)

In theory you could connect the output of the m/c to a amphibious pump, but as most of these are designed for ponds it may soon get clogged up with lint, not to mention the cost of one, then there is the problem of starting it, yes you could just use a on / off switch but if you forget to turn it off, bye bye pump as if left running dry for some time it will burn out

I would've thought rain water surrounding your basement area must go to the drain somewhere,possibly cover up with soil etc ? or can you not connected to the soil vent pipe ?

I think it may depend on your machine as to whether it will pump the water up to the drain. My brother has his washing machine in the cellar and this arrangement seems to work OK. The easiest way to find out is to measure the distance the water will have to be pumped and extend your waste pipe from the machine and raise it to this height - I would stick it out of the window! If it will pump then I would have thought it would be OK. The down side may be increased wear on the pump but this is hard to quantify - well it is for me anyway.
Good Luck! :D

Sponsored Links
Greetings
Thanks to everyone who answered my query.
I think I will try Ant's suggestions. My son suggested I sit the machine on a plinth and get it as near to the floor beams as possible, that might just make the difference.
Regards

one problem with that, assuming it is on a plynth, how will you open the soap drawer? its not meant to be sarcastic, i was actually thinking of the poor bloke who has to fix it if it goes wrong, how will you get it down, not to mention putting in conditioner

Point taken Breezer.
Better not buy a top loader either!!!
I'll do some tests next month and see what happens.
Just thought of another problem. When the pump stops I may have few feet of water in the vertical pipe running back into the bottom of the machine.
Ok now I need a non-return valve.
I'm getting fed up with this project already.
G'night all.

I'd love to see this washing machine on a plinth, especially when it vibrates like hell during final spin.
I think you should install a lift for it, so you can wash at ground level but store in the basement
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Greetings to all who offered advice.

Just thought I would post results of my research into washing machine pumps.

I have a 14 year old Phillips Whirlpool. I found that it would raise water to 2.08 meters. It produced a good flow at 1.90M.
My basement floor is only 1.5M below ground, so I think will go ahead with my plans.
Regards

could you not use a saniflo product which can pump vertically?
Jim

The sanivite does pump vertically up to 5 metres or horizontally up to 50 metres or a lesser combination of both.

Machine installed in basement and running a treat.
Thanks to all who contributed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back