Condenser Boiler - where to divert condensate & blow off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have a new combi boiler installed in my basement and it is below the drain level.

Fitter has suggested a condense pump up to the drains, but I already have 2 basement pump systems in place (one for the washing machine and one for possible flood damage.

The flood pump and sump are directly below the boiler and it has a capacity of about 20 gallons before it pumps out. Can I drain the condensate into that safely or will the acidity damage the unit?

Also, similar question for the blow off/pressure relief system - can I drain these into the sump pump rather than put a separate tank to hold that?

Thanks,

Charles.

Sponsored Links
The suitability of a pump to handle condensate is down to the manufacturer of the device.

That information is missing from your post, so who could tell?

I suggest you ascertain the make and model of the pump and contact them with your question.

Similarly, the discharge requires a high temperature handling unit, most pumps are only rated to around 60 deg.

The Drainminor pump comes in its own sump and can be rated for condense and blow off due to the temp rating, according to the manufacturers.

My installation company have fitted versions of this in scenarios you describe. It is best that the pump is used for the other items in the cellar, because the colder water in the sump dilutes the condense acid effect, and also cools the water from a discharge. Finally, it exercises the pump with larger water flows other than just the boiler condense, which is beneficial.

What you refer to as "blow off" must be terminated outside.
Don't worry about the condensate pipe, your installer will take care of that.

i remember we when we used to fit boilers in concrete flats for the council.
there were se ducts and nowhere for b/o
we were allowed to get about 1m of 4" pipe with a cap and the 15mm melted through it and discharge into that.

Sponsored Links
Baxi and Ideal do kits to allow the PRV to discharge higher than the boiler. The existing PRV pipe is teed into the return and a 2.5 bar PRV taken off the return at high level. Other manufacturers may allow the same.

Baxi and Ideal do kits to allow the PRV to discharge higher than the boiler. The existing PRV pipe is teed into the return and a 2.5 bar PRV taken off the return at high level. Other manufacturers may allow the same.

This sounds an interesting option but do you think this is limited by manufacturer?

Also, thanks for the other responses.

However, lets agree the condensate goes to the special pump. Question still remains as to whether the existing sump is OK to take the blow off pipe.

Buried in the ground is a very large bucket sized hole (about four times the volume of a typical bucket and in it is a sump pump that pumps when the level in there gets to about 2/3 full). This seems an ideal place for the blow off but I am getting mixed views on if it is appropriate. How much blow off can there ever be and would it be enough to make the water too hot in the sump (assuming there is always a few gallons of cold water in there anyway).

This is a link to the sump pump system that is there...
http://www.basementsystems.com/base...oofing_products/sump_pump/super_sump_pump.php

Any final views?

Thanks,
Charles[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back