blow-off from basement boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new system boiler installed in my basement and cannot vent the PRV blow-off to atmosphere. Can it be connected to the nearest main drain?

Sponsored Links
The PRV outlet should not go uphill.

Reason being, first time it lets go the pipe fills with water which stays there forever and can freeze in the winter.

There are ways round this.

Sponsored Links
Its not totally correct but a common way to deal with the problem is to fit a new PRV on the ground floor with the outlet going to drain at that level.

The system water content is only 80 litres so depoending on the basement if only rough storage it would not be the end of the world if a few litres spilt on the floor. Terminated in a bucket would deal with most system losses in a practical world.

Tony

We do the above and fit a 2.5bar PRV upstairs to outside, then fit a 150litre compact galvanised cattle drinking trough in the cellar.

Pump House systems now offer a pump suitable for boiler discharge and condensate, just fitted one on an ecoTEC 937 in a basement.

Can't find Pump house systems on the web. Have you got a link or phone number?

other option is tee into the return pipe and fit another on return else where
Yeah I was thinking of doing that at the lowest poin t where I can get gravity drainage, and also sticking a large vessel under the PRV on the boiler.

If you are fitting a prv elsewhere then the prv at boiler needs teeing into the return

If you are fitting a prv elsewhere then the prv at boiler needs teeing into the return
OK. But in that case it will presumably never discharge, since the pressure will be more or less equal in the return to that in the boiler. Or am I missing something?

OK. But in that case it will presumably never discharge, since the pressure will be more or less equal in the return to that in the boiler. Or am I missing something?

you have to install another prv teed in somewhere more convienient and set at a slightly lower pressure than the original.

you have to install another prv teed in somewhere more convienient and set at a slightly lower pressure than the original.
Understood. Is that fully compliant with regs. or grey area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back