Washing machine in cellar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to buy my first house and am starting to plan the renovation/decorating work. I would like to move the washing machine out of the small kitchen to make more room (possibly for a dishwasher) and relocate it in the cellar. There is currently no plumbing/taps etc in cellar but there is electricity. Any comments on whether this is vaiable? And if so, cost effective? Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
If the sewer running from your property is higher than the washing machine outlet then you're going to be involved in pumping the waste water away.

There are proprietry solutions to this problem, but you also have the option of pumping away the water and storing it in a rain butt (or rain butts), although you might find that it's against the Water Regulations to distribute the grey water over your garden unless it's been treated first.

I have a similar problem - the washer in my cellar is plumbed into the surface water drain which has now collapsed and I have nowhere else to put the washing machine.

Anyone recommend a pump system - water would have to travel about 10m and raise about 3m - smaller pipe the better.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That's all very well for clean water, or for rain water and such like, but washing machine output is in Fluid Category 4 or, in some cases (e.g. after nappy washing) Cat 5, so storing the water isn't the most healthy thing to be doing.

Having said that, that's exactly what the Sanivite is doing, but it has the advantage of being specifically designed for this purpose, and, without intending offence, not home made.

Once again, without intending to be offensive, it isn't really an alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back