Plumbing Washing Machine in Cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm wanting to take my washing machine out of my small kitchen and put it in the cellar, the cellar is below the sewage point so i know i'll have to pump the water out. I have a cunning plan of installing the washing machine in the cellar along with a large water but with a pond pump. Now these are the questions i need answering.

1... How much water does a washing machine use during a wash.
2... Will a water but be sufficient to take this water.

This is what i was thinking of doing

Installing the washer and have the waste pipe feeding into the water but and when i loading / emptying the washer switch on the pump to pump the water in the but out.

Looking at the idea i can't see why it wouldn't work but i'm no plumber.

Thanks to all who have read my ramblings great thanks to all who answer.

Thanks to all

Karl

Sponsored Links
A cheaper way of doing it without going to the expense of buying a saniflow, would be to buy a electric submersible pump, this has a float operated switch which will save you the trouble of keeping an eye on the water level in your water butt.

Sponsored Links
kryan said:
does anybody know off hand how much the saniflow system costs i don't like web sites that don't publish prices usually means there expensive.
First on the Google list was this:

http://www.saniflo-cheaper.co.uk/

I bought a SaniFlo from
http://www.saniflo-cheaper.co.uk/

You need this one.
SANIVITE
Designed for DOMESTIC dishwashers or washing machines. Use 32mm discharge pipe.

£ 264.99 inc.VAT
(£225.53+ VAT)

And it was delivered fast and was cheapest around.
Dont bother with pumps and barrels.
This fella is purpose made for the job.

Trouble with storing "grey" water is that it can stink to high heaven after a day.
One day everything is going to fail and you'll have a flood down there - believe it. A water detector to turn off the WM is worthwhile - they go on the floor underneath.
Or a bucket sized hole dug in the floor, with a permanently connect sub pump and float switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back