Washing Machine not filling properly

Zod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pls can anyone help.

My Hoover Ultracare 1500 large load HC6 150M washing machine is not taking in enough water.

It takes in just enough to make the load wet but not enough to create a small pool at the bottom of the drum for the clothes to slosh around in.

I am having to add water manually through the soap dispenser with a jug to make sure there is enough water in the drum to wash the clothes properly. But I have noticed that when I do this the wash cycle takes a very long time – especially the spin cycle. In fact, it doesn’t always go into spin. Usually, when it reaches the spin cycle the drum does a half turn, stops, then I can then hear the pump try to drain out the water, and then it just keeps repeating this over and over again.

At this point I have to either open the drum and wring out some of the clothes by hand then return them to the washing machine at which point it does usually goes into the spin cycle. Or I have to repeat the wash again (albeit on a shorter cycle) without manually adding water. This also seems to do the trick and again it goes through the spin cycle OK.

Am I right in assuming that this fault is because the washing machine ‘thinks’ there is still excessive water in the drum when there isn’t?

Things I know are OK:
Hot and cold water inputs are working fine.
The pump is working, as it should.
The heating element heats up the water OK
*Brushes are fine I replaced them recently myself

*I must admit that I may have caused this fault. The machine filled up and worked fine until the brushes went and I turned the washing machine upside down to access the motor. I know - I know, I should have read the thread about not doing this.

To say that there was a little water left in the system (even though I had drained it from the front) would be an understatement. And to make things worse I left it upside down for a few days while I waited for the brushes, which I bought on line to arrive… it seemed like the sensible thing to do at the time. After all I would have only had to turn it over again to fit the brushes.

All the symptoms seem to point to the pressure switch. But I have checked this by gently blowing down the little tube and I can hear it clicking on (and off), as it should, as I apply and release the pressure.

But is this the acid test? Could it still be a faulty pressure switch? Or did I do something else when I flipped it over and flooded it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, as I cannot afford to call out an engineer at the moment let alone a new washing machine for that matter.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back