washing machine not spinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly father has an AEG Oko lavamat 6450 washing machine, but it has suddenly started to stop the wash cycle without spinning.

I opened the drain pump cover at the bottom front, hoping to find that is was blocked ... leading to an easy repair.

Unfortunately nothing there. the impellors of the pump behind seem free to move, so I am puzzled.

the machine pumps water out, but that's all it does.

What could the the problem ?

Is a DIY possible ... is it maybe some sort of belt.

thanks !

Sponsored Links
If it is draining then not spinning it is best you check the carbon brushes on the motor.

They wear down and the first symptom is usually not spinning as well as it used to then progressing to not spinning, drum not turning and possible motor/PCB damage.

Thanks Leccy for your quick reply.

After a Google search I think you are 100% correct, stating that the carbon brushes are maybe the fault.

Despite a Youtube video showing how easy (???) it is to change them, i think i'll just phone a repair shop. But at least it will help knowing what the probable solution is .. just in case I am told it is something far far worse and of course more expensive.

Just finally, would you know what a fair price would be to repalce the brushes .. always assuming of course that this is what is wrong. (NE England)

thanks again !

Sponsored Links
Sorry not got a clue I only know what I charge and what my boss would like me to.

They can be awkward to change on some machines when the motor is still fitted but if you can get the motor off it is easy.

I usually tip the machine back against a wall or worktop and have a look underneath (although alot of older AEG had solid bottoms) at the motor, or remove the back plate. Does no harm to look and at least if the back is off it may save some time and therefore pennies on your call out.

We change brushes for people who bring the motor into the shop and that saves them a £45 call out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back