Washing machine scum/mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have previously posted a message re greasy marks on washing. These on closer examination are not grease. When I have examined the inner face of the seal - that up close to the edge of the drum - I can see that there is a black scum, both on the drum and on the edge of the seal. I suspect that is on the underface of the drum as well. How can I get rid of it and why has it occurred?

Sponsored Links
try a packet of washing soda, on a 90 degree wash, no clothes just m/c and soda

You are right, It is mold. You had your machine stored in a cool environment. If the soda doesn't work try a cycle using vinegar (liberally). the vinegar being a mild acid should kill the mold and help in it's removal.

Sponsored Links
A lot of this is caused by using too much detergent and conditioner - its no a longer a case of more soap cleaner clothes. The modern washing machine is built to use less of both, so using too much means it doesn't rinse away. Leave it around the drum and it turns mouldy.
Once you have got rid of it all, its worth always wiping over the seal and the glass in the doors after use, plus leave the door open for a while after ue to allow it to dry out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back