Washing machine tap/inlet problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new heres so first of all - Hello.

My problem is to do with the plumbing under my sink. The other day I found that my washing machine had been leaking and pulled it out to check. While I was doing this, the plastic connector of the cold water fill hose snapped so I disconnected the hose from both the washing machine and the inlet tap (under the sink) because my taps are not the standard 3/4" diameter but 1 1/4 (3cm).

I cannot find one of these in local plumber's merchants. Also, the inlet tap is completely tightened but water still leaks from it and I've had to put towels down to soak the water up (a bowl fills from the drips in under half a day)

If anyone can help me fix this issue it would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Can you not replace the 1.24" with 3/4" and change the isolator valve (which, by your description, is faulty anyway)?

Sorry, I don't have the first clue about plumbing so don't really know what I'm doing. The actual tap under my sink is 1 1/4" so I would imagine having to get all the plumbing under the sink replaced.

I did manage to switch over the hot fill hose to the cold tap which has stopped the tap leaking (I performed a search and I think I need a Y-connector because the machine is hot and cold fill) but the tap which I have to turn to allow the water to run up the pipe is itself leaking. The pipes are also making this hissing noise. I think I'm going to go insane!

Sorry, I don't have the first clue about plumbing so don't really know what I'm doing. The actual tap under my sink is 1 1/4" so I would imagine having to get all the plumbing under the sink replaced.

What size is the copper pipe that goes into this?

I did manage to switch over the hot fill hose to the cold tap which has stopped the tap leaking (I performed a search and I think I need a Y-connector because the machine is hot and cold fill)

Ther should be 2 hoses connected - one for the hot, and one for the cold
but the tap which I have to turn to allow the water to run up the pipe is itself leaking. The pipes are also making this hissing noise. I think I'm going to go insane!

A picture would help

Sponsored Links
The diameter of the tap (under the sink) which the fill hose connects to is 1 and 1/4".

I know there should be 2 hoses, but the plastic connector on the cold hose snapped, and since I believe that most washing machines rarely use the hot water hose anyway, I used the hot water hose for the cold water. And as I said, I'm going to buy a Y connector.

And I will try to take a picture.

JS2009";p="1142926 said:
The diameter of the tap (under the sink) which the fill hose connects to is 1 and 1/4".

What size is the pipe that goes into this tap, not the outlet to the washing machine?

swidders";p="1142954 said:

What size is the pipe that goes into this tap, not the outlet to the washing machine?

Do you mean the pipe that supplies the water to the tap? I would say that it isn't even as wide as the actual tap opening. I will try and get a photograph for tomorrow. Again, I'm really sorry for being such a dummy, I haven't much of an idea of plumbing etc.

Do you mean the pipe that supplies the water to the tap? I would say that it isn't even as wide as the actual tap opening.

You have an idea of how to use a ruler though. Is it 22mm or 15mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back