Washing machine inlet help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've just moved into a rented flat and have bought a washing machine which I thought I'd be able to fit myself fairly easily. However I am having trouble connecting the inlet hose to the tap under the sink pointing upwards. The problem is that the tap is directly under the sink and the hose will not bend enough to get any kind of seal around the connection. No matter how tight I fasten it the water sprays everywhere when I turn the valve on.

I have tried connecting the hose to the hot water tap which is set further away from the sink and I can connect this no problem, but there just isn't the room to do this for the cold tap.

The easiest solution I can think of is to connect the hose the other way round, ie use the angled end under the sink. Is this okay to do?

I would've have thought there'd be some kind of 90 degree adapter for this kind of thing but I can't find anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Will the valve not adjust a little (by use of spanners) so you can get better access and a good seal.
Picture of your problem may help.

You can do what you say as the hose ends are the same....but that may mean you cant push the washer as far back as you'd like.
Dont know if thats a problem in your case!
John :)

PrenticeBoyofDerry - I was scared of breaking the joins in the pipe. I tried wiggling it by hand but there wasn't much give.

Burnerman - Thanks, I was hoping someone would say that. I noticed that the washer end had a little filter inside and didn't know if it was on that end for a reason. I couldn't find any advice one the internet that said either way.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back