Washing machine tripping RCD - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I recently moved in to a new house and have found over the last two weeks the washing machine (which is fairly old) keeps tripping the RCD. I know little about electrics so I was hoping for some advice.

In the attached screen shot the switch that trips is the one on the left "Crabtree split-load RCCB." It trips a few times through the wash, more so nearer the beginning. I run a lot of electrical equipment and servers in the house but it trips only when the washing machine runs.

I have a electrician coming on Friday as I didnt get the electrics checked before I bought it. From the information I have provided is it safe to assume that it is an appliance caused problem and when it trips what is actually happening? Should I refrain from using the washing machine rather than resetting it each time it trips? Buying a new washing machine is fine, one of the buttons is missing.

Sponsored Links
Hi

If its tripping regularly its 'shorting' somewhere, almost certainly the washing machine itself.....with water involved I'd not risk using it. Wait for the sparks to give it the once over.

Alternatively, could the washing machine be overloading the circuit. its unlikely, but possible? The sparks will no doubt check this out.

"what is actually happening?"

In essence, RCCBs (residual current circuit breakers) are earth leakage detectors, it has perhaps detected a short circuit, probably caused by water on electrical parts. The fuse would also trip if the circuit was overloaded.

Exactly how many servers.....they do use rather a lot of power, the washing machine (they have internal water heaters) could be the straw that is breaking the camels back....?

The pictured switch trips and is pointing downwards which means all the sockets in the house power down until I flick it back.

A couple of servers but i have remembered that they are powered down currently. I shall test this tomorrow by switching off the power on the majority of the sockets in the house and then running the washing machine. If it trips again as I expect it will the washing machine is at fault but if it doesnt then overloading may be the cause.

If overloading is the cause then what options do i have?

Sponsored Links
"If overloading is the cause then what options do i have?"

The sparks could put in another breaker/circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back