washing machine waste, is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm not quite sure why it's been plumbed this way (unless there's a valid reason?) but to me there's no need to have the split level of horizontal pipework i.e. section leading horizontally from the u bend into an angled joiner and 'up' to another section of horizontal pipework. this config is causing water to sit in the lower section.

what i want to do is rip out all the existing stuff (vertical waste pipe, u bend, lower horizontal pipe and angled joiner), fit a new section of horizontal pipe at the same (higher) height of the existing pipework and then use a washing machine kit like this, then no water would stand in a lower section. any reason why i shouldn't do this? i also feel the vertical section could do with being a bit longer, correct?

Sponsored Links
You plan is correct - there should be a constant fall from the outlet of the standpipe to the main waste.

The standpipe height looks OK but a little higher won't do any harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back