Wasps in the loft

Thanks for the responses, and sorry for the delay - I've enjoyed reading your advice and anecdotes.

Yep I've got two EpiPens now which are always at the ready. And as much as a wasp sting does really sting, it's nothing to the allergic reaction I assure you! Very nasty and scary.

As far as I know the nest was in the eaves space, rather than visible in the loft - do you know if the spray would still be effective if it was aimed in the general area of the nest? There must be a point where the wasps are getting in and out of the loft. (I'll send someone else up, I'm not going near it!).

Sponsored Links
The wasps carry the poison into the nest and it kills off the rest of them, so ideally you find their entry point into the loft and put it there.
The sprays are meant to be sprayed at the nest so that it does the same thing.

Get a wide brimmed hat and a net curtain, make up a head protection net thingy (i'm sure you have seen the pics) and cover every other bit of you up, hands, legs, neck area etc.
Then venture up there in the evening when they are more docile, do you smoke? you could smoke at the hatch for a bit - exhaling smoke in front of you towards it.
do not wave your hands around just go slowly closer ignoring them and they will ignore you.
Find the nest and from a distance spray at it, use as much as you can before you turn and leave (it helps to put something down to allow you a simple exit - not hopping over rafters).

What the heck have you got a wasps nest at this time of year for anyway, I'd have thought they would ball be dead by now.

Sponsored Links
Back