Waste disposal unit blocking drain!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Not been on here in ages but as I know you are all a minefield of info I thought I'd pick your brains....

OK then, local council has started doing the 'new' (we had them in Germany 25 years ago!!!) wheelie bins but also food buckets that we have to buy special compostible liners for and the liners cost a bomb. Now I wouldn't mind but every other week it's going into landfill anyway.

So.... I decide to go and buy a waste disposal unit. Cost a fortune to get it and install it though council are supposedly giving some cashback. Use it twice to put some peelings and bread down and then come home to find both of my sinks in the kitchen (1 1/2 bowl) blocked with water 1/2" from top. So, out I go with my plunger and degunk the darned things.

THEN, my Bosch washing machine decides to empty from the bottom. Quite a few mutterings about Bosch supposedly being wonderful later I call in my repair man. He says nothing wrong with machine but you've got a blocked drain.

Hubby lifts up patio slabs (grumble, grumble, moan, moan :rolleyes: LOL) & says *insert expletives* drain's blocked & sets about unblocking it. Sink keeps blocking everytime I use my new kitchen toy though and we've also heard glub, glub in the dishwasher as water is obviously struggling to drain.

It now transpires that we have got an interceptor in the drain and drain doctor want £160 or something to jet and then put a camera down.

Any of you know anything about these things as ST water say that they shouldn't have been put in house (built in 80's) & how much do they cost to replace? The thing is as well is that to get to it half my garden would have to come up :evil: & it's cost us a small fortune to do over the last few years.

I am feeling extremely angry at the minute as local council are pushing the waste units and saying we should all have them but don't say anything about getting plumbing/drainage/sewerage pipes checked first.

Don't know whether it would be anything to do with it but since our neighbour had an extension built we've had continual probs with blocked loo downstairs and smells coming into kitchen drain that I spend a small fortune on drain sachets & bleach to clear.

Any ideas? Hubby can borrow a camera from work, has a load of protective gear and we have a jet washer - could we do this bit ourselves? Is it advisable?

Sorry for long rambling post btw. Typical woman :oops:

Sponsored Links
you can clean the blockage from the interceptor yourself, it only blocks in the trap of the interceptor

Thanks seco, that's what we have been doing but my question was more as to how much it would cost to replace and whether or not we'd need to dig up the whole darned garden to do it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back