Blocked drains

I've had a quick skim through the Sewerage (Scotland) act 1968 and although I can't find anything specific about an age when sewers should be public, it does say that Scottish water must keep maps of the locations of all public sewers at their offices for inspection. If you can get there it might be worth trying to get hold of a plan for your area and see if the blockage is in 'their' part, or if not they might come out to do their own investigation.

I seem to recall having great debates with our local water company over the definition of a 'curtilage' as they were trying to say that one building, even if divided up, is a curtilage and therefore the drainage is all private.

But if you don't ask you don't get so it might be worth a go. You'd have thought (!) that the Council would know which bits are which but if it's depot staff coming and doing the clearances they might not bother checking.

Sponsored Links
Ahh, now there has been great discussion as to whether the drain is council or Scottish Water. I'd had a quick look at Scottish water's website and from what I could see, it appeared that if the drain was within your property's boundary's then the owner or landlord was liable. But one guy from the council said that where the drain is physically attached to the wall, then the council are responsible, but everywhere else, is Scottish Water.

Aha!! A plan. I will get onto Scottish Water and ask them.

Thanks.

I'll keep you all updated - of course, this would have to happen right at holiday time!

Update:

I phoned Scottish Water and they're sending a squad ( :eek: :eek: ) out on Monday to check the main drains and whatever they are responsible for. If it turns out that it's private drains that are the problem, then they'll let me know and I can then kick up with the Council. I did try to phone the office at the council today to let them know, but I couldn't get an answer - reckon they've all gone for the festive break!!!

Looking at this diagram on Scottish Water's website, it would seem that the drains within the property boundary are the responsibility of the homeowner/landlord - I'll have to wait and see though....

http://www.scottishwater.co.uk/port...E_PGE_HOUSEHOLD/SWE_HH_RESP/HH_CAMP_RESP_TEXT

Fingers crossed......

Scotland is different but in England if there is a shared private sewer shared between two or more properties its the responsibility of the Council on the shared part if the properties were built before 1931 or similar date.

Now becomes the water Authority but thats usually subcontracted back to the Council.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Have you ever felt like screaming? That everything that can go wrong is going wrong all at the same time?

Scottish Water came out yesterday at 3.30pm (it was obvious they weren't going to do that much at that time on Hogmanay!). Now, I'd been told that they would inspect the drains that they were responsible for and make sure they were OK and if the problem was in drains NOT covered by Scottish Water, then they'd advise.

So, they turn up. I show them where the problem is and ask them if that drain is their responsibility. I'm actually still none the wiser.

One guy opens the manhole cover, the other trudges his mucky boots into my bathroom and flushes the toilet plug. Yep, the other guy could see the water running past down the manhole cover.

Well, the drain seems to be clear just now. Yes, I know it is, the guy was out on Boxing Day to do it but he said it needed further investigation because it was blocking too frequently.

Well, they're clear just now. If they block again, give us a phone.

Have a happy new year.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

i have heard this one so many times.

it doesnt matter how big or small your drain is anything can block even a 2 meter diameter sewer now unblock that and have the bill for it.

the most easiest answer is that there is pieces of broken pipe in it and i will say it now they can be bastards to get out because they can wedge in the pipe.

ure shower tray is gurgling because your shower and your sink is connected onto the same system.

the only answer really is to find out whether it is pieces of broken pipe and if it is find out where, and either cut them out or bash the seven daylights out of them.

the spiney thing that he used is called an electro mechanicak they are bloody useless in a 4" inch pipe they would just go under the broken pipe thts wy he pulled nithing back.

u need to look deeply at this seeping and to see what kind of water it is
like toilet and sink water or rainwater.

are you smoking something or what these are all old posts that your dragging up.
we've seen them, answered them now move on.

smoking-cigar-037.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back