waste frothing at plug hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, great forum you have here. I've spent the last 2 hours reading all sorts of helpful info :) Can anyone help with a minor problem I have?...

I've just fitted a new kitchen and after plumbing in the new sink I am now getting a small amount of frothing from the plug hole when the washing machine empties.

pic of waste...
waste_prob.jpg

I'm unsure whether the horizontal pipe connecting the 2 sinks is too low or too high? or is it some other part of the configuration that is causing the problem?

tia for any helpful tips, hope to be able to reciprocate some day ;)

cheers

Nick

Sponsored Links
It seems to me that your trap from sink one, horizontal pipe and running trap will be always full of water hence when your WM discharges thru small spigot in first trap it has to force all that water away. :(
I would change both traps ensuring an airbreak between the two and try to join waste pipe at the same level, but I would be interested in what others think particularly ChrisR who is very knowledgeable

Thanks but I dunno about the "very knowledgeable", there are plenty of plumbers who've forgotten more than I've learned.

I think Bahco is dead right about the standing water. I blame the Italians. (any excuse!) The sinks come with these monstrosities of tubular jigsaws which come to an output pipe which is incompatible with anything, but we all use them instead of doing the job properly.

Which is to put a trap on each waste! Then you don't get the froth, the stink of stagnant water, or the backflow into the other wastes. If you have a common outlet waste, lower, at the back of the cupboard, each waste can tee into it. It does get a bit busy in there with up to 4 traps, so the WM and DW can share one - with their rubber flexy hoses going upwards a fair way off the trap spigot to discourage backflow.

Blame the scandawegians too, if that's where the ikean tribe come from :evil:

Thanks for the speedy replies guys, much appreciated :)

I was wondering...would it overcome the problem if I lowered the waste pipe on the soil stack? and would this be easier/cheaper than altering/buying new traps etc?

cheers

Nick

Sponsored Links
ping said:
Thanks for the speedy replies guys, much appreciated :)
I was wondering...would it overcome the problem if I lowered the waste pipe on the soil stack? and would this be easier/cheaper than altering/buying new traps etc?
cheers
Nick
hi nick
my wastes are almost identical with the washmachine close coupled as you have...i would prefer a wash machine stack with air break..as i had before
given time i would put a stack in and a trap for each sink...
given time...
someday..
meanwhile i get the back flooding and smells as you do...
put a plug in the non used sink to help a little..

I can't see how lowering your waste will solve your problem :confused: You will still have stale water in the afore mentioned areas in my last post.
Change the 2 traps (cost £10 tops ) On the first trap put an elbow, then waste pipe, then a tee which leads to your next trap, and from the other end of the tee you connect your existing waste pipe.This must have a small fall.
Looking at the number of appliances you should consider anti vac traps :!:
Let us know if this solves your problem :)

FWIW: The final waste pipe looks like it's horizontal or maybe even inclined the wrong way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back